Saturday, March 30, 2013

Baking, Going, Doing, Sewing













 









     

                                       



The days are flying by, one calendar page after another just whirling up into the sky, gone.  I don't know how it is that time is so changeable:  eternally slow sometimes, moving at the speed of light others.  I looked at my baby girl the other day and realized she'll be six months next week, and that babyhood is so darn fleeting.  I just want to hold onto these days a little longer.

We've been busy, but in a nice, non-overwhelming way.  Spring has sprung, so everybody is outside a lot more, and the house seems to be a place where we all come back to flop ourselves down in quiet spots to read or play Legos or knit in the afternoons.  But during the day, we're out and about, and the sun is shining all day long, and I remember how much I love spring.

Today we're getting ready for friends to come over after church tomorrow, so Addie and I are baking this morning.  I love, love, love to bake.  But I also have absolutely no self-control when it comes to baked goods, so I try not to do it unless absolutely necessary.  It's a delicate dance.  I want to be the mom who makes batches of chocolate chip cookies a couple times a week for her kids, but I can't.  Because my kids would grow up and say, "No, I don't remember Mom making us cookies at all."  And that's because I would have eaten every single one before the kids got to them.  So instead I bake when I know I have to share.  It's safer that way.   :)

I finished Sarah's Heartwarmer shawl and blocked it, and only have to attach the buttons.  It's getting warm here, but the tricky thing about living in Texas is that in the summer, it's blazing hot outside but absolutely frigid inside everywhere you go.  We were in Colorado on vacation a couple years ago and went inside a ski shop to look for sunscreen, and it was probably only about 80 degrees outside, but the shop had no A/C.  It felt like 120 degrees inside, and my native-born Texan kids were flabbergasted.  We forgot about the sunscreen and got out of there.  We can't handle heat.  Ironic, no? But that means I can knit warmish things for my baby, who'll freeze indoors otherwise.  Layers in summer.  It's the only way..

I cast on for her baby shorts the other day while waiting for Addie at ballet.  My mom kept the other three, and I sat in my car outside the dance studio with Pandora on, knitting in delirious happiness for an entire hour.  It's amazing how much you relish the absence of talking when you have kids.  I think her shorts are going to be adorable.  They're a light sage green, and they'll be perfect paired with a number of peasant blouses I bought fabric for.  She's nowhere near crawling yet, so I have hopes they won't get too floor-stained.

I hear chickens crowing outside, and the guinea is shouting her head off.  Such an alarmist.  I'm off to refill my coffee mug and track down something quick for breakfast so I can bake with Addie without succumbing to temptation.  We/ll see how that goes.  Munch, munch.



11 comments:

  1. How I love the grin on that boy's face. How I love that boy. Feeling privileged that his Grammy will go down in history as the one who taught him about Five Card Stud and how to maintain a poker face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos ~ they tell your story without a word.....
    You finished the bunny and the shawl! Yeah! I'm sure Addie is going to love her bunny.
    I wish you and and your precious family a beautiful and blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate, about the baking :). I love to munch munch while we bake and then realize, OOPS I kinda ate too much :(.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog. I would love to read more about your homeschool days. Do you use any curriculum?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I have fallen out of the blogging world but I just stopped in and saw the wonderful news that you have a new baby girl. I'm so thrilled for your family! She is precious and all the kids have gotten so big! Blessings to you and your family.
    Love,
    Amanda Jones

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, you do know that you came back to blog and got us all excited to read your writings again, and poof! Disappeared. Ah, but I understand completely. Just wanted to say Hi and that I miss reading about your crew and seeing pictures of them growing up. :) Hope y'all are having a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just looking at all your pictures makes me feel at peace. Love your posts and you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pray you, your kiddos, & that sweet little baby are all doing well :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pray you, your kiddos, & that sweet baby are all doing well :)! One of our dearest friends and their family are moving to Dallas and I thought of you! We will miss them terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sarah...where are you???? I was just thinking about you and your sweet blog, and I thought I'd say hello. You do realize that we're missing much of Sarah Grace's first year, don't you? :-) I trust that you and your clan are staying busy and enjoying the baby and one another, which is where the true value of your time lies, not in updating the blog. Blessings to you, and I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just thinking of how you were the first blog I read (followed from Lisa Welchel), and how I loved reading about your cozy and inspiring life. Hope you are feeling God's blessings and enjoying these sweet days. I miss reading about them, and being inspired to knit, or read, or just be intentional about my own life; but know you are busy enjoying those moments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!